Tuesday, March 6, 2012

OPI - Big Hair... Big Nails

I absolutely love how jelly polishes look in other people's swatch photos, but I have been unsure about trying one for myself.  I have very prominent nail whites, so I require a very opaque polish, which is why I've always stuck to creams.

During my last visit to the mall, I found "Big Hair... Big Nails" on sale at Trade Secret.  I had read good reviews of this jelly, so I thought I'd give it a shot and hope it would be opaque enough.  Here is "Big Hair... Big Nails" at 3 coats:

Three Coats

While the color is gorgeous, it just isn't opaque enough.  My VNL is still very obvious even after three coats.  The nail white almost creates a color gradient as the polish shows up orange on top of white.  On one finger, I decided to paint coat after coat just to see how many it would take to get to full opacity.  I lost count at around 8 coats, while never getting rid of the VNL.

So whats a girl to do?  I decided to try putting down a nude base to help hide my nail whites.  This is 1 coat of "Tickle My France-y" followed by 2 coats of "Big Hair... Big Nails".

"Tickle My France-y" & "Big Hair... Big Nails"
While this gets rid of the VNL, it dulls the color of the red jelly and looks a little... gross.  Maybe I'm just not meant to wear jelly polishes? 

Over all verdict on this polish is disappointing :(

3 comments:

  1. I like how it looks on you even with VNL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you! Maybe I should stop being so picky about VNL and just wear it anyway lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I do not advertize my blog in other blogger's comment sections, and I would appreciate the same courtesy. However, I do love to check out new blogs so please e-mail me instead! :)
PreshPolish@hotmail.com